The Writers' Café has offered an undergraduate writing contest
in poetry, fiction, and nonfiction each spring term since 2004.
Browse past winners of the contest.
Submissions: Contest submissions are currently closed. Annual submission period is January - March.
Prizes: $200 for first place in each genre, $100 for second place in each genre.
2020 Contest Judges:
Fiction: Christine Stroud
Nonfiction: Paola Corso
Poetry: Christine Stroud
Eligibility: All currently enrolled Pitt undergraduates who have attended at least one Writers’ Café session this academic year (September 2019–February 2020).
- Poets — 1-3 poems (no more than 3 pages per poem)
- Prose Writers (fiction and nonfiction) — one submission per genre, up to 5,000 words.
In all genres, names should not be included on your work; students may submit in more than one genre, but each submission should be accompanied by a separate entry form. Submitted work will not be returned.
- Download and complete an entry form.
- Each submission must include a title. Do Not put your name on your submission. Your name goes only on the entry form.
- Submit your entry form and submission via email attachment in a Word file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Writers' Café Contest” and the genre of your submission in the subject heading.
- Winners will be notified by email; the names of the winners will be posted on the Café web page.
- 2020 Contest Deadline: Friday March 27, 2020 at 11:59 p.m.