Many thanks to everyone who submitted work to the Writers’ Cafe Undergraduate Writing Contests. We’re very excited to announce this year’s winners in fiction, poetry, and nonfiction:
Fiction (judged by Rachel Hall)
- First Prize: Jessica Simpson, “Waiting for Vilomah”
- Second Prize: Olivia Lapinski, “how to make a truth”
- Honorable mention: Cynthia Teramae, “Gurkha”
Poetry (judged by Adriana E. Ramírez)
- First Prize: Marissa Perino, “Best Westerns”
- Second Prize: Marina Fec, “ugly ugly ugly”
- Honorable Mentions:
- Thia Paruchuru, “Note to Self”
- Joseph Jang, “Through a Sun-dried Viewfinder
- Mia DiFelice, “Seville Cathedral, Juan de Castillo”
Nonfiction (judged by D. Gilson)
- First Prize: Marissa Perino, “jam jars & growing up feral”
- Second Prize: Claire Franken, “Womanhood”
Congratulations to the winners!
We’re very grateful to all writers who entered. Please keep coming to the Cafe, keep getting your work out there, and keep on writing! Contests are a fact of life in literary publishing--and this one’s free. We’ll have all new judges for next year.
Finally, huge thanks to all of you who have participated in making this such an exciting year at the Writers’ Café. See you next year!